Sunday, November 18, 2007

Heading to J7

I'm in the airport in Orlando as I write this awaiting my flight to San Juan. Yesterday I tested the rig/computer setup for J7 and got packed. I purchased a MicroHam Microkeyer to key CW with N1MM. One thing I forgot was that I needed an external keyer to use with my paddles. This necessitated a trip to AES in Orlando to pick up an MFJ-401D keyer. Everything checked out OK with the rig setup, the Microkeyer keyed the rig perfectly with N1MM under Windows Vista and a 1/4" Y adapter allowed me to use the paddle/MFJ Keyer with it simultaneously.

I also went to Lowes and purchased 2 145' sections of #14 stranded wire for the loops. This will make it easier to set them up as I should only have to trim a couple of feet for resonance. I also bought some extra RG-6 for the matching sections. I have decided to go with 2 single element loops as constructing a 2 element system is too complicated to pull off given the time I had to get ready. I will try to aim one NE and one NW to cover EU and NA through an antenna switch. I am also bringing a G5RV for other bands, but I will only put that up if I have time after getting the 40M antennas ready. One thing I decided NOT to bring this time is my Buddipole as I will use the G5RV to cover the other bands. 40M is the priority so losing the Buddipole is OK on this trip.

I am travelling with 4 bags; a SKB hard sided golf case with the 2 40' fiberglass masts and lots of 100' coax sections, a large checked bag with the non-electronic equipment, a carry on with the electronic radio equipment and my laptop bag with the work laptop and the contest laptop. The SKB case comes in handy because the airline lets you check up to 70 lbs. in golf cases whereas you are allowed only 50 lbs. in suitcases.

I almost guessed perfectly on the weights. I had 73 lbs in the golf case and about 45 lbs. in the suitcase. I moved a couple of the 100' RG8X sections from the golf case to the suitcase and I ended up at regulation 70lbs. in the golf case and 50lbs in the suitcase avoiding any overweight luggage charges.

I will be in San Juan on business today-Wednesday and fly to Dominica Wednesday afternoon. My plan is to set up the station inside on Wednesday evening and put up the antennas on Thanksgiving and Friday(if necessary). I am hoping this will be a lot less hectic than what I experienced in C6.

No comments: